Translate this site:


Traducir esta sitio web.

Jan 26, 2009

Baton Rouge City Park



Bath House of the, now covered up, pool.

.


Ollie Steele Burden planted Live Oaks
in City Park.
.

 City Parks' Luminary's (two of them), with columns of the pagoda-style building of the old carousel that used to be in the park. Later they were used on the Picnic Hill Pavilion when built in 1955, but originally, were the columns' of the 19th century Baton Rouge City Market. LSU used 12 columns all together.
.

The City Park Carousel



Old Baton Rouge Market Columns

About the Old City Market [an excerpt]: A major center of activity was in the old Baton Rouge Market. The market was first located on North Boulevard at the south end of Third Street and later, in 1854, moved to the site of the existing Municipal Building, St. Ferdinand and North Boulevard.
Although the major business of the market was to sell meats and produce during the hours of 2 a.m. until 8 a.m., the market also served coffee and doughnuts at all hours, thus attracting a crowd eager for the latest political and social news. In addition the old market was used for all-night dances on special holidays. Excerpted from, Source
.
[Post note: The plaques are on a bad angle because at the time I didn't know how to turn off the flash on my camera yet and I had the evening sun to my back. I hope one day to go back for a redo.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most of my BR memories are of my own neighborhood and my schools. But I sure do remember City Park!